Saturday, September 13, 2014

Beaten: Star Wars: Dark Forces (on 3/30/13)

System: PC (via DOSBox)
Status: Beaten (on 3/30/13)

For a while in the spring of 2013, I started on a small retro-PC game spree, mostly kicked off by a list of worthwhile DOS games I found (Link). I actually for a while was seeking to mark most of them off as played and beaten, though a few of them are not my sort of game at all, or are so dated compared to modern versions I likely won't bother. Dark Forces was one I actually got through, and have been meaning to ever since I bought it at a flea market in ages past...and it wouldn't run on my PC.

Dark Forces holds up in some aspects ok, it is still a decent shooter, and the story itself holds well as a Star Wars story, though not so much as some other games set in the universe (Force Unleashed, etc). However, a lot of the levels suffer from rather unintuitive design choices, and though you have multiple 'lives' so to speak, you'll find yourself save scumming so you don't waste them and ammunition, since often the stuff you need to get through a level are through tricky jumping puzzles, or completely strange and seemingly suicidal paths. This game has a lot of issues the original Half-Life has, they wanted to do something more, but the controls and design don't hold up to it.

I finished the game on normal, which leaves the harder difficulty for completion...which will be a long time in coming, that final boss is an asshole. At least you can replay individual levels on the higher difficulty, so when I get back to it I can check off levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment